Thread: 2004R
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake, keep in mind that the power rating of these transmissions is typically from those charging BIG bucks for them!

200's and 700's are complex transmissions, with a LOT of parts jammed into a small case. This makes for quite a few points to fail, or parts to break, since the size of the parts in comprismised due to the size and weight of the unit. They still hold up remarkably well, for what they are.

I've never seen or heard of a seal failure on a 700-4R, 4L60 or 4L60E when the molded pistons were used. Keep in mind that the molded pistons are steel, and only have one path for fluid leakage, compared to two paths with the aluminum pistons. The seals are also much harder and more durable on the molded pistons.

The biggest sore spot of the 700/4L60's are the 3-4 clutch, 2-4 band, and the input shaft in the aluminum input drum deal. When a 700 comes in that didn't experience hard part breakage, it's almost always lost the 3-4 clutch.

I actually like the 4L60's and 200's, I consider them excellent choices for street driven vehicles, that will see occassional drag strip use. As mentioned earlier, I flogged on one for 35,000 street miles, zero issues anyplace. For anything that will see frequent drag racing, with good traction, and big power, you are simply looking at the wrong transmissions, and plan on getting a second mortgage to get one strong enough to hold up for a while......FWIW.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),