View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaro View Post
Here are a few things I considered when choosing my wheel/tire setup. I wound up going more pro-touring than classic but I like the look.

Going with a fatter tire in the back means less grip in the front. In the event that you're hard braking and turning, say swerving to avoid a crash, you are more likely to have the fronts slide and understeer. Since I like to chase Porsches on gravely LA mountain roads, I wanted to stay square-- same contact patch on all four corners.

The height/diameter of the tire was what I wanted to stagger. To my eye, the 66/67's rear wheel well is much bigger than the front and my little 225/70/r14's looked miniature with all that room. After measuring, I went with stock tire height in the front and about 1" taller in the back. In my case, I got 18" wheel in front and 19" in the back. Unless someone tells you, you probably wouldn't know. They just look right. In theory that gave me a little better highway speed which I didn't mind but in practice, I didn't notice a drivability difference.

Lastly, check out tiresize.com to see what sizes are available. My old drums could lock up my Cooper Cobra tires no problem and I almost rear-ended a few Honda Accords. Your brakes are only as good as your tires and modern tire compounds aren't available in classic sizes. I decided on the Nitto NT555 G2 tires, a bang-for-my-buck performance tire with decent sidewall. That helped narrow my sizing search to 275/40r18's in the front and 275/40r19's in the back. I could probably have modified the front wheel well a bit but I wound up getting annoyed and just got rid of them. It doesn't rain much in LA.
thanks for the alternate option to consider....I like the idea of square contact patch. Also, did you like the Cooper Cobra tires? I was thinking about possibly getting them. Do you recall if they were directional?