View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy question, Build five short stroke short deck Pontiacs in aluminum, could be cast, or billet block, it must come in at 410 cubic inches. Put it in a sprint car, and see what it could do with a young, aggressive driver, and crew.

When I was a kid (mid 60s) my Dad took me to the dirt track almost every week. They didn't run sprint cars every week, but the traveling sprint cars would run at our local track usually once every season. I saw 2 of them with Pontiac engines in them, and have always wondered how a modern, high tech, short deck Pontiac would fare against the mostly SBC based engines in a sprint car on dirt. Naturally aspirated on methanol they put out over 2 HP per cubic inch, usually right around 950 HP just to be competitive.

It's incredibly expensive to run a top notch sprint car team anyway, but to run one with a one off different powerplant would be a challenge, both financially, and from a technical standpoint. There is of course no part of any sprint car engine at this point in time that would have come from an OEM source, so making each and every part from either an aftermarket vendor or having it custom made is not unusual to the sprint car crews.

The minimum weight currently for a car, with driver is 1425 lbs. The power to weight ratio is right up there with some of the NA race cars of the world, in any form of racing. There is no way to predict if such a venture would be successful, because no one has ever tried it, Very deep pockets would be at the forefront of the venture.

It's a dream, that comes with a huge challenge, that likely no one in their right mind would ever consider. Kinda like running a nostalgia, Pontiac powered, funny car on nitro...........LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated