View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drain89 View Post
The stroker kit is a bit out of my budget. Plus, with the truck being so light in the rear IIm afraid that would be overkill for me. My trans doesn’t have a torque converter. It has what’s called a torus. I don’t know much about them, but I am not willing to pull it out hence why I’m stuck to a 59 or 60 389. IDK how sensitive Hydramatic are to cams. But I do like wat the descriptions say about that cam.
I’m just trying to build what I have without butchering the truck or doing anything that can’t be easily undone to it. Otherwise I’d set it down on the c20 frame in my way and slap my L92 or 418 stroker LS and 6L90 I have laying around in it. But this ain’t really the kind of truck to do that to.
I had an Oldsmobile 55 years ago with that Hydramatic and an Olds 371 CI engine. I put an Isky E-2 camshaft (HFT) in that engine and it really woke it up in the lower/midrange RPM area. The Hydramatic handles it all very well. In fact, B&M transmissions in Calif used those older (pre 1958) Hydramatic's to start their company. Their reman B&M trans were popular in the NHRA gasser classes, even the classes using blowers and solid roller cams on the engines. If your trans is in good shape it should not have any problem with that mild Lunati cam. Of course with any cam swap, you'll need new lifters and valve springs. Looks like you'll have a great nostalgia project, go for it!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to 1968GTO421 For This Useful Post: