View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in NH View Post
Wow, never knew how this carb would get all the carb guru's upset, Cliff, have a cup of coffee and relax LOL.
Rob - as I posted in my last post; if you are happy, then that is what matters.

As to being upset; I didn't see any posts that were upset with you.

Many of us have been professionally working on carburetors for decades (I built my first Holley in 1959). Over the years, we learn that virtually ALL carburetors have a "best" in one or more categories. (And if there is a "best", then there certainly must be a "worst").

When a question such as you posed is asked, we attempt to give the original poster the benefit of experience.

The internet is full of conflicting opinions, and that is fine. One just has to determine which opinion is correct.

Many of the folks here (Cliff for certain, I don't know about Kenth) are retired, and as Cliff stated "have no ax in the ax fight (or maybe it was "dog in the hunt), same cliche". I should have retired two decades ago, but having difficulty finding a buyer for the business (looks like son will take over part of it).

The point being, we are basically offering free advice. What is done with that advice is up to each individual.

When selecting a carburetor; one should look at several categories, depending on one's eventual use:

(1) Initial cost (the ONLY category in which the e imitation is "best")
(2) Service cost
(3) Performance (HP)
(4) Performance (driveability)
(5) Fuel economy
(6) Reliability

(Professional opinion) the e imitation will finish dead last against virtually all other entrants in categories 2~6.

I know you have posted you are currently happy, after all, the car is running; but since you now have time, I would highly suggest looking for a rebuildable Q-Jet and a manifold to accept it when you frequent swap meets.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.