View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
That is cool! I talked to Jon about doing the same thing with a somewhat similar carb I have, off a 72 400 Mopar, requiring a strip kit for tuning, and I believe he suggested converting it to a bigger fuel line and higher flow needle and seats. Maybe not exactly the same, would have started as the same cfm as a 6322. 6322 TQ IRC would have started out as a 850 cfm off of a 73 440, with those mods described it should have be close in size to one of the 4847 competition 1000 cfm carbs. Pretty amazing that much flow is possible out of a big TQ. Being that we are not married to particular carb part number, kind of decided the 1000 cfm 4847 makes the most sense, 542 cid with 318 cfm heads. I am curious about the engines low end manors without the outer boosters and Venturi hump removed in a street car? Like say in a 542 that had A/C
We have sold several of the 4847s carbs to be used on the street. Only one customer was super happy about the idle; but above idle ALL were happy.

As to modifying another to think it is a 4847s, I don't know; have never had any experience with that.

I do know the 850 (still has the booster ring) runs like a scalded dog on my Pontiac 350 on the street.

And it will idle at about 900 without the choke after about 30 minutes. NEVER again would I consider blocking the heat passages on a street engine.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.