View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am working with a company right now. They are one of the last companies left in the US that is still in operation who can make old school analog meters.

Presently they are working on new meters for me, they fit the in-dash 1965-67 GTO rally gauges. I restore these gauge sets and I need new meters for the tachometers.

If we can work out a few things on the sample and get those made, next in line I have plans for them to make new meters for me that fit the '68-72 GTO & Lemans factory in dash tachometers. If all that goes well I am going to have them take a look at the 2nd Gen trans am tachometer meter.

These meters are all permanent magnet and moving coil meters which are the meters that GM put in these gauges when they made the cars years ago. Unlike all the current imported reproduction tachometers the original meter's pointer gently floats back down to the zero mark after you turn your engine off. The GTO meters 64-72 are all assisted by the weight of the pointer (return to zero) but the 2nd Gen trans am meters; that pointer is in opposition to it's zero mark so the copper springs attached to the moving coil are the thing that gives that meter it's zero return.