Thread: 1959 389 Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Default I took apart.....

.....a few more things before the holidays are over with. Tomorrow it's back to work so there will be less time to fiddle around and clean filthy old engine parts.

I removed the fuel pump eccentric, the timing set and the cam thrust plate. Everything came apart easily without a fight, I gently pried with two long screwdrivers on each side of the cam sprockets and slid them off without any fuss.

The timing chain is a bit stretched, but really not all that bad. Being in decent shape tells me that it was serviced not all that long before the car was sent to the boneyard. It will be replaced with a good used double-roller set I have kicking around.

Trying to ID the cam here, not quite sure what that stamping indicates. The factory stock '472' cam would have letter stamp 'D' on the nose. Not that it really matters all that much, I just want to know for the sake of learning the history on this old 389.

This old worn cam will be replaced with a good used 068 cam and lifter set, that is if it all checks out good. If not, I'll buy some new parts.

Here's the fuel pump eccentric assembly that also serves to fasten the upper timing sprocket to the nose of the cam.

Note that the outer sliding ring on the pump eccentric is not trapped or held onto the inner eccentric other than by the fuel pump drive arm, unlike later designs. This means you can't run the engine with an electric pump by just simply blocking off the pump opening in the timing cover with a plate, you must remove the timing cover and take off the outer ring so it won't foul up the works in there.

The distributor slipped right out, often on Pontiac engines they're stuck tight from varnish buildup. I've struggled with these in the boneyards and given up and left them there, even after standing on top of the engine twisting and tugging with all my might while using penetrating oil or solvent to loosen it.

Turns out it's a distributor that's used on a lot of '64 -'66 GTO engine applications, part number 1111054. I have the same 1111054 distributor that's been rebuilt and re-curved in my '64 421 HO.

Looks to be in good shape, so I'll give a good wiping down and use it as-is after putting a new set of points in it. These old iron-body distributors are very nice and accurate. The shaft bushings don't seem to wear out on them easily, they're a very good basis for a performance distributor build.

Here's the sexy, professionally restored/rebuilt 1111054 that now resides in my '64 421 HO.

Back to sleep until next time, I left the oil pan off to give the last bit of dirty oil a chance to drip out.