View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
On "A" bodies, the coil power during starting is derived from the ignition switch IGN2 terminal, running power from the IGN1 terminal thru the resistance.

"F" bodies tend to use the "R" terminal from the starter for cranking ignition power.

george
The man is good!!

So I checked the voltage last night on the coil (which is still mounted incorrectly) and it was super low like 4-5 volts. I called Mallory and MSD and they gave me the scoop on what type of resistance I need and what voltage I should be seeing at the coil. So I'm 90% sure it's a voltage issue due to using the cal resistance wire, which I then made sure to splice to the starter wire. Good thing I did since I just installed a IMI high Torque starter and they told me I didn't need that wire since I didn't have points. Glad I went out of my way to splice a wire connected to nothing. At least I have a better understanding of the ignition system. So my next question is how do I go about removing the pin connector?

I also ordered the correct ballast resistor from Mallory, some new MSD super conductors, and some wire looms. I'm going to also investigate getting the coil mounted properly.