View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing first,that blaster II coil should'nt be mounted on it's side like that,MSD clearly states in their instructions that the blaster II coils need to be mounted in an upright position.

That's actually true for most oil filled cannister style coils...

And yeah,as has been said,you really should only need to use either the ballast resistor -or- the OE resistor wire,not both.

But the MSD blaster II coil itself typically requires it's own specific resistor (0.8Ω part #8214 IIRC),so if I were to suggest which resistor to use,I would probably recommend using that MSD ballast resistor and not the OE resistance wire.

And yeah,that ballast resistor would then be wired directly to a 12v circuit fed by the ignition switch.

As for getting a full 12v for quick starting,that mostly applies to the OE points ignitions,and the Mallory Unilite electronic module may not even need that full 12v @ cranking to fire-up correctly,either way typically that 12v cranking wire is run up from the starter solenoids S terminal,and that lead gets wired directly to the coil + side,that way it acts as a temporary bypass when the engine is cranked,and when the engine is'nt cranking the current to the coil then shifts over to the resistance circuit.

As for plug wires,I like the black MSD 8.5mm super conductors myself.

But plug wires are super easy to check,just Ω test them and compare that to the wires resistance specs to determine if there are any issues with those.

Oh,BTW,if you want a new resistor wire,those can typically be bought at most any auto parts stores,if you can find a parts guy that knows what you're talking about,and knows how to find the part no. in the catalog.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.