View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I have a '64 GTO that has always had a vented cap. Car used to run 1.6x 60' times. I've never seen any evidence of fuel coming out of the cap. Please explain your experience with this. I also rarely fill much more than a half tank.
I have seen several 64 GTOs with Vented gas caps dump gas on the track at the races.
Obviously you have never seen gas actually come out of your cap/tank when you are driving the vehicle.
And the Gas has probably vaporized by the time you finish your run, return to the pits, and get out of your car to look at the gas cap area.

Need a watcher to confirm for you that the gas does come out of the tank and how much.
AND it is a 50/50 deal on if your gas cap does leak gas.

So I would say, based on my experience from early 1965 to the 2021 that it depends.
Just like if a heater core fails due to a slug of water on a 1965+ engine that is beat on and not on
a 64 Grandma's GTO driven on Sundays.
64 GTOs can kill heater cores too, as I have posted in several threads, or leak gas.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.