View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I will say that the switch over to timing control was well worth it in my case. I had even talked directly to Ken at FiTech when I purchased back in 2015. He kind of said the same thing and advised that unless you needed spark retard for boosted applications, there may not really be any reason to do anything other than fueling with his product and that a good HEI would be fine.

I ran with that recommendation for a long time and it was just that, fine. Having the system run the timing however has really transformed the car. I got rid of a creeping idle heat issue and the spark map I provided is working a lot better than what I had before. The car is returning better fuel mileage, is readily wanting to pull right up to 6000 rpm instead of plateauing and if you put a set of quiet mufflers on this thing, you'd never know it was anything but a mild, stock type engine. Vacuum is up close to 3" across the board which is making everything work that much better.

In fact, the car is almost too tame at this point, until you punch the loud pedal. So much so that when I do a rebuild on this thing in a couple years, I'm going to blow right past a cam like the OF and look squarely into grinds in the 240+ duration range.