View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to the OP, I didn't intend to derail his thread just simply post some pics of the Sandlewood differences (although I am not convinced my dash isn't saddle but some other time on that)

It has CERTAINLY been a labor of love trying to save these original pieces. My wife has a BUNCH of pics she is saving for a blog or thread on the build of this formula. The whole Interior was painted/dyed white in the mid 70's. As stated before we believe however this actually saved/preserved the original coloring. I have over 30 hours easily in what's been done so far. The hardest by far is getting it out of the stitching and the WORST is out of the comfortweave material. I am using a citrus based cleaner. I spray it on let it sit then scrub it vigorously with a toothbrush. Then after a bunch of cycles i spray it with dawn dish soap and water heavily til its dripping wet and wipe it down to make sure any of the cleaner is completely washed off, diluted or neutralized so it doesn't cause the material to dry out or crack. The dash took awhile and the door panels are proving challenging. I need to remove the armrests so I can get underneath and clean also. I have grown quite fond of this color of interior quite frankly and am excited to see it saved and put it into the Lucerne blue ram air formula at some point.

I did practice this on another interior that was painted with equally as nice of results but it was already cracked etc. I did that to see how the material would react to various chemicals over time etc. the stuff I did like I am doing now has sat outside in the sun for over a year and hasn't gotten any worse. Just wanted to clarify that for anyone wondering. Hate to have spent what's gonna equate to a month of work just to have the dash dry out and crack in six moths.