View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 01:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO-relic View Post
you stated that Barry Grant inflated the CFM numbers. He did not. Actually Holley did, with their 950, that really flowed around 800-830.

In my timeframe the airflow numbers were as I stated. An 850 cfm carb flowed 830 to 870 cfm at 1.5" HG or 20.4" H2O.
Since you are a young guy you do not remember the history of where Holley was forced into the CFM wars by the other carb people. I totally agree that a
750 cfm double pumper #4779 flows 750 cfm not 950 cfm like tha later advertising stated. Same deal for them #4781 850 cfm carb vsm the advertised BS that said it flowed 1000 cfm.

so..why didn't that high end flow equipment you used at Holley, pick that up ?

It did pick it up you were just not listening.

If the Holley test equipment is so ultra-high end, how come they put .037" idle jet orifices in carburetors, then you have to tell everyone here to change it to a .031" ?? that's 6 sizes off from the factory.

Never said that, that is a lie, and the 850 cfm carbs were .038" IFRs and the
750 carbs were .036" IFRs not .031.

take a 400-428-455 stock Pontiac engine. bolt on a Holley 850 4781 DP carb brand new.
run it for 5 minutes. pull the plugs.
what do you see ?
black as coal tar.
how do your eyes and nose feel while the car idles in the garage ?

First off Holley carb in the 70s when I worked there is not the same company that went bankrupts three times since I left the company. I cannot get blamed for BS that happened to carbs made today.

I've got 40 years of experience with these myself as well.
They run too rich. They always did. Let's be frank and honest about this.
In the 1970s Holley carbs were about 1.5% rich when flowed on their Stoddard Solvent/Air Flow benches. So smart guy do you know why they test with Stoddard Solvent?

40 years, good for you. Now learn to make carb statements based on a year time frame, not generic statements. 1970s carbs, 1980s carbs, really is a simple concept. Same deal with 1st Holley Carb bankruptcy, 2nd one, third one.

You are a smart guy, you just said that, post up real info based on the timeframe. Not after Holley left Warren Michigan and went south.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.