Thread: Rebuilding 455
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with your evaluation on the ring ridge and glaze as well as any "rebuilt" lower end condition. Since it is apart, I now want a strong, dependable engine al the lowest cost. It appears to be a consensus that the 2 bolt bottom end is good for my needs so I will upgrade to forged pistons and rods and have the machinist check bore tolerances again before he over bores
. Thank you to all that have posted here, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There are probably 100 different definitions for what a "rebuilt, remanufactured, or refurbished" engine is. I can't imagine any scenario that would indicate any of those words could be used in a legal sense on that engine. Just from 2 pictures, I see nothing that indicates the engine had any lower end attention. It takes tens of thousands of miles to create a ring ridge and create a wall glaze like that. Even if it was just ball honed, the hone pattern would be there at 300 miles. Anyway back to your question. I don't see any reason for 4-bolt caps from the built you describe. I will however break with the other posts indicating you need new connecting rods. IMO, it depends on the quality of the machine shop. A 455, running at 5200 RPM or less, won't hurt stock connecting rods that are round, straight and the right size with new hardware. Cheap, Chinese aftermarket rods, however will certainly need to be carefully measured, inspected and 1 or 2 will probably have to be rebuilt prior to use. So it's kind of a toss up IMO concerning the rods. Good luck with it.