View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer
Default 1989 MOPAR Article

Wow Talk about editorial license! I re-read the article in the 1989 issue of MOPAR magazine

The " Infamous 150 MPH Club" ? Are you kidding? Either the High End Club or Top End Club would have been exceptible. But I don't know of any street cars in the 1950's that go 150 MPH. This is when the High End Club began....in the 1950's.

A little off topic: I also read on some ones forum, a 2008 posting, that The High End club ended several years earlier. I guess they forgot to tell us that. I showed you the pictures from last years gathering when we had Joe Riggerillo's surpise birthday on a Thrusday night at the Big Boy (which is now closed) on Telegraph Rd and Maple in Bloomfield Twp. Like in the old days. We get thrown out of one location, we just move to another. The High End Club still meets every Thursday night, but now at the Rams Horn on Orchard Lake between 13 Mile Rd and 14 Mile Rd.

Back to the article and some fuzzy facts. I showed you the picture of Mike Fons' 1957 Vette. Clearly not a 4 head light 1958. They stated the Mike's Vette was more of a race car...Gee wheren't all of these cars? I'm not sure what exactly this meant? He was too fast for them?

You'll have to read what they said about Jim Wangers. But they did not even mention the Black Bird, Firebirds, 2+2's, Monza, Hurst Olds, Chrysler 300H or the Monti Carlos. Only GTO's. Not very complimentary to say least. Mind you Jim was friends with these guys. Jim used to work for Chrysler in marketing before he went onto Pontiac.

You got to read the article closely and watch the punctuations and mis-stated facts. Now this was in 1989. This is 1989 and Jimmy Addison had stoped racing the car approx. 1974. They were not sure where the GTX was now. The author has quotes around, "A guy by the name of Mike McGauri ran a Camaro for Booth & Arons with a 460-inch big-block Chevy. He beat me, and I beat him," recall Addison. ( period end of quotation marks) That was the only car to ever beat the Bullet.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! This is where the legend of "Never been beat" must have begun. Not by what Jimmy said but what the writer edited.

As I stated in the very beginning there where many very fast cars and every one kept improving their cars or getting newer and faster ones because every one got beat at some point. EVERYONE!

Remember "A LIE WILL MAKE IT AROUND THE WORLD BEFORE THE TRUTH CAN GET ITS BOOTS ON."

Like they say.....I read it on the internet so it has to be true.

You can't get up set. It is the way life is. Don't take things too serious. Just know what you know and enjoy life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopar May 89.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	308875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopar May 89 pg 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	308876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopar May 89 pg 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	308877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jimmy Addison interview MOPAR 1989.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	308878  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 01-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.