View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
The BOP was never going to work properly with those serrations.
The Viton seal clearly works well for a lot of folks with serrated cranks, but it seems like the graphite seal is much more of a sure bet. It's also surprisingly easy to install compared to the BOP seals. In hindsight, I should have skipped the two piece experiment and just gone straight for the graphite seal, but I was following Butler and BOP's recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
That's great to hear. I'm eager to see you get this motor done. I hope it turns out awesome 'cause you've earned it for sure.
I'm eager to see it done too! It's been almost a year since I pulled it from the car. It took 5 months to get the rotating assembly. The heads have been at the shop for 10 months. Patience is a virtue these days. I've been using the extra time to make sure I've got everything buttoned up and dialed in as best I can.

Reading through past threads, I do get anxious about potential failures. I've tried to do my homework and pick up the most reliable parts in addition to keeping things as spotless as I can and well lubricated during assembly (I love that Redline assembly lube!). Definitely appreciate the advice here.

Over my 30 year ownership of this car there have been 4 different builds. The first two lasted a couple years each because I cheaped out on parts and slapped things together. The third lasted about 8 years while detonation slowly killed it. The last build made it 10 years, but it was clearly hobbling along after it ate the valve stem seals early on in its life. Each build and subsequent dissection gave me some more knowledge to work from.

Time will tell how this thing holds together, but I'm hoping to get some longevity out of this incarnation. I've got the engine compartment all cleaned up and detailed, new wiring installed and the rebuilt trans ready to go. Just waiting on the heads now.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post: