View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That's a great question Tom. I will start with the 1/2" spacers, since many were run that way. Then maybe try 1/4" worth of gaskets. I really wish I had more time to try all kinds of fun stuff. But unfortunately, one more dyno session is all I am going to be able to do. Want to get the most bang for the buck. I should mention, it is running very well now but of course I want to get the most I can out of it. Just feel like it's down on power based on the hardware in the engine. In my car, on the street, it's probably fine. But we always want more. Also, the better it runs, the more efficient it is.
Years ago, Joe Zajac and Larry Kaufman were trying to get a bit better response out of their 750 cfm AFB carbs with the 'generation 3' intake that Randy Williams did for them for the NSS cars.
The 'generation 3' intake is very similar to the Intakes being produced today.

So they tried the mod I suggested.

Two AFB 4 hole metal plates 1/8th inch thick. Carb throttle bores for the 750 cfm carbs may be different vs the carbs you choose to run.

MATCH the metal plates to your carb throttle bore sizes.

Now for the Modifications:

Measure and cut 8 pieces of steel tubing so that the inside diameter of the tubing matches your throttle bore dimensions.

Bore the AFB 4 hole metal plates so that each machined bore just matches the outside diameter of the 1" long steel tubes.

Weld "in 4 places" the metal tubes to the plates. so now you have two 4 hole "inverse" inserts that do not raise the height of the carbs more than 3/16 of an inch and still provide the "4-Hole" SIGNAL you want the bottom of the carbs to see from the intake plenum.

Worked great on Larry and Joe's intakes and they were very happy with the better throttle response, lower ETs, and slight MPH improvement.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.