View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really don't know why our stout little 406 ran quicker with a stock points distributor vs an MSD billet with no other changes made anyplace. The car even left on a Trans-Brake and auto-shifted using a box, etc. So no variable whatsoever from the driver. It was early in my learning curve with these things but why really doesn't matter to me and I'm not going to disect it really hard, just learn from it.

I'm NOT advocating anyone toss their bug-zapping distributors or anything of the sort. Just realize that IF and WHEN you replace something that's working good and timing is set at the same base number, plus the same timiing curve, there are no big advantages one type of system over the other.

More recently (less than 20 years ago) we were on the dyno with my own engine after doing a "refresh" and testing a couple of camshafts. Since the new cam was NOT making the grade and the carb was spot on we swapped out my HEI for an MSD billet distributor with a 6AL box. Not only did it not make one more ounce of power at any RPM there was a very, very slight LOSS with the MSD over the stock HEI (recurved with a positive stop welded in and not other mods). Another lesson in bug-zapping distributors and boxes making more power than stock parts.....FWIW.

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),