View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be me. I am no painter, but, I had painted a single stage on my 46 Willys Jeep at my employer's paint booth for my first paint job. My 55 was my second there in base/clear (all priming and bodywork done at home garage). Then I did my first paint job at home in my double car garage. It was my 80 Fiat Spider Convertible. Small car, so I thought small quick job. I did do the hood, trunk, doors and pieces at work. Body at home. I didn't know why, but later realized my compressor was too small to keep up with my new HVLP gun. I was not getting the coverage I wanted. Taking longer than expected, then the gnats moved in (they must've smelled something they were curious about). I had to quick finish the second coat of clear and stop. I wanted a third coat, but couldn't do it. Luckily, my cut and buff worked out and it looked good. It wasn't until I decided to paint my Lemans a few years later that I realized my compressor was too small for such a big job. This time I had a screen across my door to keep bugs out! I had a lot of orange peel to cut and buff, but I was happy with the outcome.