View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've played around with that for years and even moved converters from one car to another with different rear gears. Shucks dad went through 6 converters in a period of about 2 years along with a gear change in between.

Had a discussion with Kris about this (Continental Converters) back when he built one of the last converters for dad's car before he closed his doors. I was getting ready for a rear gear change at that point and he was adamant that I don't drop the rear gear below 3.55's (was running 3.73's at that point) because he simply could not build the converter tight enough with the current parts available at that time.

I ended up doing 3.42's and even that small change made the converter way too mushy on the street, and at the track it was marginal with very little rpm change on gear shifts. So that converter came out.

Took 4 more tries with 2 different converter companies to finally get a converter that would hold the engine properly, drive nice, and perform perfectly at the track.

I'm sure you already know the answer Stan, Yes rear gear plays a big roll in how the converter will act.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: