View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yeah that filter is also metric with a M16-1.50 thread pitch if I'm not mistaken. Typical 3/8 flare fitting won't work which is 5/8-18 thread.

That GF 652 is meant for newer cars from the 90's on up I believe and does use an o-ring. Or I should say it's supposed to.

The only steel inverted flare filters I'm aware of that work on older cars with the correct american style thread is either the GF90 or the GF416.

The 90 has smaller 5/16 connections if I remember right, so adapters would be needed for 3/8, Don't care for that. I think I have one on the shelf.

Or spend the big bucks for the GF416 with 3/8 fittings that were for the 396 chevelles and corvettes in 1965. Restoration shops get $70-$80 for those, I don't think you'll find them in the local stores.

Typically these were held inside brackets bolted to the engine as well because they don't hold up too well to engine vibrations, and sometimes crack at the fittings over a period of time if suspended in mid air by the steel lines themselves. just an FYI

Frankly, the carb is designed to hold a filter, it's convenient. That's where I'd have it.
It's surprising that there's so few options for a basic inexpensive fuel filter with a typical 3/8 double flare connection.

In any regard, this discussion has led me to think that since I have an in-tank electric fuel pump with a sock filter, I'll probably just hook the fuel line up directly to the carb and rely on the carb's inlet filters rather than running an external inline filter. It will ultimately be a simpler and cleaner install with fewer connections.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild