View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
I’ve seen that Hemmings article too. The owner removed the upper part of the center console to install the aftermarket A/C. Since the original location of the vacuum gauge on the console was removed, the owner mounted it on the dash. All automatic GPs in ‘63 and ‘64 had the vacuum gauge mounted on the console and not the dash. The tach was optional on the dash. Someone else can reply regarding manual transmission cars, as those may have had the tach on the console. I don’t believe the vacuum gauge was ever installed on the dash as is seen on the car in the magazine.

That was quite a article Hemmings Classic Car put out. The A/C compressor and brackets was Pontiac, so what I think happened was the car had a dealer install A/C and they removed the upper portion of the console to add the add on ducting and switches. The car has the correct rocker molding, however the rocker molding front fender extension, which G/P and Catalina do not have has the Bonneville ribbed type. The article also talks about the 389 and then says only the 421 engines used solid lifters!
By 1964 the SD program was all over, no solids after 1963 to my knowledge!

I think there are probably better examples of 64 G/P's out there that they could have used. They also really need a Pontiac person to proof read their articles.