View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
For some reason, I can relate to "old school Nick" Here is why. At my school, we dyno all kinds of different engines, from early 1920's 4-cyl Fords, to fuel injected Kasse Boss 9 engines to everything in between. From a $500.00 backyard rebuild to a 20K really scienced out engine. The set-up is different on every one of them, and every one has problems from very minor to an oil pan full of water from breaking through a thin wall porting a head.
I don't want to make too many excuses for Nick, but his little videos look all too familiar to me. We run a Pontiac on our dyno maybe one out of 200 engines. Nick may be about the same. He is a Mopar guy and I assume his reference to "large journal" is in comparison to Mopar with their 2.750" mains. Just a guess. His move to a M54F oil pump was not a good choice to us "Pontiac people", but a common go to for a non-Pontiac guy. I have a very hard time believing it would hurt a thing on that engine. Might cost them 2-3 HP if they drop to 10w-30 oil like they should. Drama is why most people watch videos anyway. I wish he would learn more about Pontiac engines and produce better results. But he doesn't upset me.
I enjoy Nicks video's to. Not much editing just tackling issues as they come up. I do wonder what pump did he put in a SD pump? I also didn't see any Air/fuel being monitored unless I missed it.

What was wrong with setting the total timing to 36?

Our local engine builder doesn't do Quadrajets either