View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
if you have the correct starter, with all the correct parts, that's the way it is supposed to be - but not a single parts store in the last twenty five or so years has had a different listing for a starter for a RAIII/RAIV/455HO/SD455;
At least not to my recollection;
I had decades ago, help by one knowledgeable parts counter guy on getting a high heat solenoid - iirc they come with their specific spring.
I don't think the solenoid is my problem. I say that because it is obvious that the solenoid is engaging. You can hear it, and the starter motor will still (sort of) crank the engine just VERY slowly. So I think it's the starter motor itself that is the problem.

I also happen to know that there was an episode when I had a mechanic inspecting this car for me where the owner's people were not able to get it to start. Turns out the points were stuck and it wouldn't start. They didn't know that and kept cranking it until the battery died. I don't know but could that have damaged the starter?

I'm going to check everything else too, of course, but one of the last things I need is a car that won't start. So since I don't have confidence in this starter, it's gotta go.

Anyway, I have a new Powermaster Powermax Plus on the way from Summit.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share