View Single Post
Old 02-13-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Of course I will need a transmission to hook up to this little monster. I initially was set on an automatic; either a 6L80E or 8L90E.
GM supposedly makes a version of the former hopped up for aftermarket use.
But it is not available due to the chip shortage (this trans has one inside the case). Same story with the 8L90E. Another issue is these do not fit A bodies that well at all, and the pan sits about 2" below the frame. Also, a common issue with ECU tuners is the Engine/trans interface.

So, let's see what's going on with the manual side of things. Tremec has come out with their new TKX; I guess a slimmer version of the TKO. I noted online these are somewhat scarce, and 5.3's are not drilled for input shafts. Bugger.

So I shelved the trans issue until the engine showed up Monday. Or so I thought as it appeared late Friday afternoon as I was gearing up to go home.
It was quickly unloaded and cover removed to reveal a pair of counterbores, the outer being the modern pilot bearing size! So much for internet experts.

Friday night was occupied by a search for transmissions, bellhousings, and flywheels. The Gen V (LT) architecture is NOT the same as the earlier series: bellhousing won't interchange as the top bolt is offset for the high pressure fuel pump. Oil pan, motor mounts and other stuff is different too. F

First item is the bell housing - it is the key here. Some searching revealed Lakewood makes a nice little piece:

Holley sells them for $371.95, part #LK5000K Summit was out, as was Jeg's

Excellent, now to secure a TKX. Holley also carries them in 3 flavors:

TCET17805 2.87 FIRST AND 0.68 OD
TCET18083 3.27 first and 0.72 OD
TCET17722 2.87 first with 0.81 OD

I selected the TCET18083 due to it's deeper 1st (good for traffic and hills)and middling OD which won't be too onerous with the 2.93's out back

In stock at Holley and $2,795 to the back roll up of the shop.

Another dividend of the TKX is I can still run the steam gauges and not have to go GPS or CANBUS driven gauges. I plan to work with Speedhut to make a more stock looking gauge unit than the Dakota setup this summer when things slow down a bit.