View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pure Stock Drags Build - 70 RAIV GTO

Fellas -

Getting geared up to get my car ready for the PS drag season and have a few questions. Basic combination is 1970 RAIV GTO, 4 sp, 3.90 gear, manual steering and brakes. Engine will be built using a non-matching RAIV block, nodular crank, Eagle or Scat h-beam rods, Diamond pistons (NHRA legal), 2.5" exhaust, points swapped for electronic. Heads are virgin 614s, and will likely use Manley valves. Stock intake and exhaust manifolds. Will go with max compression allowed (11.?:1) and run racing gas. PY member will do all the machine work, build, and dyno the engine.

Some questions -

How much hp do I need to be competitive (low 12's, I think)? 450 gross?

Can I run an M22? If so, is there any advantage? Strength but maybe more friction? I have an M21 for the car, but no big deal to swap for M22 gears.

What about the carb? Can I run an auto carb (270) or do I have to run the (much more expensive and hard to find) manual carb?

Any recommendations on the cam? I know I don't have much room to play with.

Any ideas on how much weight difference there is between bench seat and buckets/console?

Dan runs 14 x 7 Rallys on his 70 GTO. I like the look of steelies and dog dishes, but they're 14 x 6. I happen to have a set of 14 x 7 Rally IIs - assuming the extra inch will help out with the traction. Thoughts?

Also, if I build max effort for Dan Jensen/Bob Boden's PSMCDR, am I still legal for the Pure Stock Drags, which run with the F.A.S.T. cars?

3.90 vs. 4.33 gear? Car came with 4.33 from the factory, but has 3.90 now.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott