View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm 474 View Post
Cliff, please explain if you don't mind... I've researched the camshaft for this combination for days and nights for the last two weeks. In the end I learned that the Comp XE camshafts are hated by most, liked by a few, and I would likely never choose one of those. I have also learned that for a hydraulic flat tappet application, the Lunati VooDoo and the Crower camshafts are the two front runners, atleast for shelf camshafts, in builds like this. I have also learned that even though the VooDoo appears on paper to be a short seat duration camshaft, it really is not as short as one would believe, do to the lift at which it is rated. I read over on the Chevelle forum where Harold was talking about his VooDoo designs, and said that those Seat Durations were measured at .007- .0078", so that it would appear smaller on paper. I would think this would make the VooDoo 704 up towards the mid 280's for seat duration if it were measured at .006" like most are. I have read the opposite is true for the Crower camshafts, some say they are measured at .0045", so that makes them appear to have more seat duration on paper when compared to most camshafts that are rates at .006", having said that, I know the Crower would still probably have more seat duration than the 704 Lunati, if measure at the same lift, but then you start thinking about Jim Hands engine, and how well it ran with that Wolverine camshaft. I believe it only had around 285 seat duration.
For clarification: On the CAM CARD that comes with the 704 Lunati should say it has “Advertised duration” and list 281 intake 289 exhaust. That is the .006” tappet ratings. Unless they make a change to the card, that 281,289 is what it was last year and in pasts years.

IRC, the Wolverine cam Jim Hand initially ran had more seat timing than the Lunati 704. Closer to 290intake and 300 on the exhaust. I do not remember the numbers exactly. But Stan Weiss probably has the file becuase the exhaust profile from the SUMMIT 2802 cam is the profile used on INTAKE profile of that Wolverine cam. Basically summit has the 2800, 2801, 2802, well if Summit had one cam bigger in that cam family called Summit 2803, it would be the same as the Wolverine cam Hand used. Hand initially used that Wolverine cam, then I think he tried a custom Bullet 285* version in his car with the same .050” durations. As far as I know the Bullet cam was the quickest of all the cams he tried, I think that Wolverine was 2nd. The Bullet cam should have had similar characteristics to the Lunati Voodoo, very similar to the 112 LSA Bullet versions I mentioned earlier in the thread.

4 speed cars often run narrower LSA’s to match up the gear changes better and make them faster. Although with the big crank it may end being more than the st10 is up for. Lol

Last edited by Jay S; 03-21-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Err
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post: