View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no direct experience with that Lunati cam in a 455 Pontiac build but suspect you'll be OK with it, at least as far as managing pump fuel at that compression. It will also "feel" strong, as tight LSA cams tend to really punch a lot of power into the mid-range, further exploiting what Pontiac 455's do very well right to start with.

I've ran all sorts of cams in 455's, went tighter LSA a few times and not overly impressed with them so tend to go the other direction these days with longer seat timing.

Even with that said the most impressive cams I've used in them were really tight LSA IF you were only evaluating them "by the seat of your pants". The best word I can use is "explosive" power when you go to full throttle. To date the best of the tight LSA cams I've tried was the Crower 60913. It specs at 308/314, 248/256@.050", 108LSA. Talk about BRUTAL mid-range power. Whack a decent 455 build hard with that cam in it and you'll have to go back and look for your hat, glasses, drivers and passengers side doors and EVERYTHING that was on the dash will be up in the back window!!!

As good as it sounds at the track it never produced the numbers we were looking for. Typically low 12's around 112mph for most runs. We replaced that cam with one of Dave's "Road Pavers" and a set of his #62 iron heads. The new combo is strong for sure, but power is "flat", somewhat boring as it just pulls really hard everyplace, no "rush of power anyplace.

The car with no other changes has went bottom 11's over 118mph.........so once again NEVER evaluate the performance of the vehicle with a "butt meter"!.....LOL.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: