View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Steve, the real "oversight" is not factoring the camshaft into the equation, not missing 1.5 CC's during their calculations during the planning stages.....FWIW......
Cliff, please explain if you don't mind... I've researched the camshaft for this combination for days and nights for the last two weeks. In the end I learned that the Comp XE camshafts are hated by most, liked by a few, and I would likely never choose one of those. I have also learned that for a hydraulic flat tappet application, the Lunati VooDoo and the Crower camshafts are the two front runners, atleast for shelf camshafts, in builds like this. I have also learned that even though the VooDoo appears on paper to be a short seat duration camshaft, it really is not as short as one would believe, do to the lift at which it is rated. I read over on the Chevelle forum where Harold was talking about his VooDoo designs, and said that those Seat Durations were measured at .007- .0078", so that it would appear smaller on paper. I would think this would make the VooDoo 704 up towards the mid 280's for seat duration if it were measured at .006" like most are. I have read the opposite is true for the Crower camshafts, some say they are measured at .0045", so that makes them appear to have more seat duration on paper when compared to most camshafts that are rates at .006", having said that, I know the Crower would still probably have more seat duration than the 704 Lunati, if measure at the same lift, but then you start thinking about Jim Hands engine, and how well it ran with that Wolverine camshaft. I believe it only had around 285 seat duration. I have used the Crower camshafts in the past as well with great results, but I just wanted to try something different this time around, and I thought the 704 would work great for this application, according to the results that other people have had with similar combinations using the 704. The Lobe Seperation is indeed narrower, 110° vs 112+, but most agree that with the way Harold designed these camshafts, with the Lobe Offset from the centerline of the camshaft core, and the opening ramp vs closing ramp differences, they still produce the powerband of a wider lobe seperation camshaft. Now, with all of this being said, I have never had experiance with a VooDoo camshaft, I'm just going off of all of the research that I have done. Now you have me second guessing myself on my camshaft pick Cliff. LOL