View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 03:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Key Point you want to be careful of is if the swirl is too high then the air and fuel mixture entering the chamber will separate out with the fuel impacting on the combustion chamber walls and a lean "hole in the fuel/air mixture.

You want a clean continuous flame front across the chamber from the spark plug ignition point. The combustion process IS NOT one event there are several stages to the combustion event. This is a pretty good video that explains this combustion process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL6x3sqH9QU

That being said, the link also has other videos that explain other engine processes happening.
The MIT Guys who taught at my employer's company (for the research guys mostly) had a similar
presentation but not a video at that time. This was years and years ago. I retired 5 years ago.

So Pay attention to what the engine is trying to tell you. Jim Hand did a fine job with his book and SF 110 small flow bench.
There is a lot more to the combustion event subject though. And there ARE some fine videos out there today.

Tom V.

ps I measured Swirl & Tumble and a lot of other things in my Research job.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: