View Single Post
Old 12-19-2023, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Are you a machinist? Can you tell me how you can measure the amount to remove from the thrust surface? The difficulty is not cutting the register, it's how to get a measurement. If you can explain this to me I will forward this info to my machinist this will help him on future jobs.
ASE certified master engine machinist. I have cut the thrusts on a couple of hundred two stroke Detroit blocks. This isn’t rocket science. Most thrust bearings use interference fit to secure them in the cap and in the block; usually around .001-.0015. Measure the inside of the thrust bearing you are going to use( flange to flange); what is that measurement? You are going to want the finish size of the thrust surface to be .001-.0015 thicker than the inside measurement of the thrust bearing. If you will refer to a bearing catalog of the OE of the thrust bearing you are using the thrust surface specs are listed. Any other questions? Try working on your reading comprehension. WHY would I have technical familiarity with align boring equipment unless I was a machinist?

Dr. Thomas Sowell