View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, here's a question maybe Dr. Schiffer or Keith can answer. Several years ago I spoke with a gentleman who said he worked at the Pontiac factory back in the 60's. He told me that when some of the guys who worked at the factory would order GTO's they would know what day thier cars were being built. As the car was coming down the assembly line they could count back and figure out which engine was to be joined with their car later in the day. During break time or when a supervisor wasn't around they would switch the 389 for a 421 before the engine and car met downstream. The GTO got the 421 and somebody who ordered a big car with a 421 ended up with a 389. He said that this didn't happen often, but it was done. Any idea if this is true? In the past I've heard stories about poeple who purchased GTO's from original owners only to find 421's in the cars. The owners would swear they never changed engines and this is how the car came. Obviously there would never be any documentation of this.