Thread: Custom Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacp911 View Post
It was the pan original to the car. The canton is still in the car as I have not pulled the motor. It has been out of the car for 10 years. I cleaned it then

My welding has improved substantially during this operation. If I were to do it again, I would do things differently. I can now lay a beautiful bead.

The part of the job I thought would be hard, ie, fitting the 1" strip was really easy.

The canton pan is trash. It's not deep enough, and does not hinder oil migration in the pan. Anyone can PM me with your number, and I will provide more details and rational and share what I learned welding

I'm now just about to fill the pan with red ATF and leave it to see if there are leaks. I was using water

yeah, soldering is likely a bad idea

Here is how the baffles are laid out
When testing a weld for liquid leaking, and porosity of welds, water will weep through a weld more quickly than any oil will. If it's watertight, you're good. I've done a good many sheet metal containers, and oil pan modifications over the years, and water is what I use to test the weld areas. Using a oil to test a weld area will contaminate the metal in the case you need to re-weld the area in question, water will just turn to steam when reheated, instead of carbon, which contaminates the weld.

I actually prefer welding sheet metal with an oxy-acetylene torch, over MIG welding to get a fluid tight weld that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but of course you have another process to learn from scratch if you're only accustomed to MIG welding at this point. Although I've never TIG welded, that process is closest to oxy-acetylene welding, because both use a heat source, and filler rod to close the gaps of the joined metals together.

If it were me, at this point I'd use the sudden stops with water in the pan, in the bed of a pickup to prove your theory, and execution of your modifications to keep oil around the pickup. It's a heckuva lot easier than testing it in car, then pulling it back out if it doesn't work as planned, and cheaper too. I'd rather have done the backyard field test under my belt before doing the whole install in chassis. Just a suggestion, you do what you feel will work in your situation.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 03-29-2024 at 10:24 AM.