View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 04:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Here's an example of one of my own that touches on what I meant in post 17.

This blazer was my daily for years. Transmission started slipping so my first thought was perfect time to stick an overdrive in it, since it's my daily, right?

Looking at costs to buy and rebuild one, I started looking at LS swaps in the boneyard. There was a 2005 6.0 with it's 4L80E offered to me for $1200 and it only had 79k miles on it. Well that's a no brainer....DUH!!!

So the swap began. Fuel system, conversion harness, and about $4000 total I had a complete LS swap in my daily blazer that knocked down 21 mpg highway and ran circles around the old 350 I pulled out.

In fact, here it is at the track running 14.30's. I never touched the engine, not even headers. And that's coming out soft because it had a habit of snapping the pinion off the truck 12 bolt.
It weighed 5300 lbs. without me in it, had 33" tires on it, and 3.73 gears. Friggin hilarious. Poor SS camaro owner didn't know what hit him.

https://youtu.be/msgSc3S-yHA
Impressive for the weight.

Mr Bill Klausing had a 63 wagon 4300 lbs with a basic 462 engine and a decent 400 trans/converter that would run 12.06 20 times a day at the track
(if you kept putting gas in the thing.) 1963 rear axle, frame sectioned for a bit wider slick. He ran a Tri-Power intake with 3 Holley 2-BBLS, excellent Bracket Car and ran exceptional 60 times for what it was.

Just saying, with tuning a Pontiac engine and chassis can be deceptive.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.