View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3189 View Post
Who did the machine work? They should be stepping up. I would pull tranny and fix it now, or else wonder every time you use it if the sealer will fail.
The sealer won't fail once it seals, it is considered a permanent repair. If you don't have real world experience with this sealer (I do), and know the principal on how it seals (I do) then saying it will/may fail is hearsay.

I do agree that whoever installed the plugs initially has a responsibility to replace the leaking plug/s. The way that usually works out is that they will fix the leak, but you must pull the engine, and deliver it to their facility, so they can do the work. Normally machine shops only work on an engine in their facility, out of the car, and it's you responsibility to deliver it back to their facility. The question is do you want to incur the expense, and labor of an engine R&R to take advantage of the implied warranty from the machine shop?

Then there is the fact that there may be a sand hole, (porosity) or a minor crack in the block, now you have opened another whole can of worms.

Bars Leaks will seal a minor crack, and also porosity, permanently, no fuss no muss.

I have 55 years making a living doing this work, I don't give questionable advice on this forum. I try to give advice on what I know works, and may save someone time, money, and labor.

Pulling the transmission isn't a huge deal if you're not lying on your back doing it. I can R&R one in under an hour with a lift, and a transmission jack on most RWD GM cars, of course headers sometimes affect that speed. Putting a soft plug in is flat rated a 0.6 hr. So with a garage style setup in just over an hour and a half, a competent mechanic could have the job done. Of course all these times are not applicable if the OP is lying on his back under a car, performing the work.

I can also pour a can of Bars Leaks in in under a minute, and be secure that the leak will stop, and seal as long as the engine is functional.

If he changes coolant at a later date, the leak won't start leaking again, the Bar's Leaks seal won't be affected if the coolant is changed somewhere down the line.

The OP needs to weigh the facts, and make his decision.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated