View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Finished fixing quarter panel rust hole above p/s tail light.

I did this in 2 patches. First was the bottom where the quarter panel wraps under and is welded to the tail light panel flange. It was really important to get the shape of this patch correct. I made a template of the shape using the other side as a guide. I traced a line onto a piece of sheetmetal and when turned upside down can be used on the opposite side.
Here it is welded into place:

This is how I made the next patch:

I left the bottom edge a little long and will trim it off after welding.

I welded the bottom edge from inside the trunk.

I did have to planish using a hammer and dolly during the welding process and after the the welding was finished. Both to stretch back the shrinkage from welding heat and some in order to get the metal to fit the shape of the bottom edge. It's a compound curve and that has to be formed as it's installed. It was a bit of a challenge but I got it pretty well and I don't think I will need any filler but just some high build primer.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: