View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Almost all cast wheels in large sizes are going to require more weight added to the barrels then you typically see with a 14 or 15" wheel. Just the nature of where the weight on the wheel is. It's also tire tech's not paying attention to where the tire itself is heavy and you end up with a heavy spot on the tire matched with a heavy spot on the wheel and people blame the wheel for huge run-out when it's really just a poor mount and balance job.

I've had cast wheels from several different companies on different vehicles. From very cheap ebay stuff to the more expensive American Racing wheels on my firebird and my wife's Chevelle. While some of them did require more balancing weights, I've never had a set that caused vibration or had any type of structural or quality issue. I wouldn't personally be afraid of the YO offerings. They're on thousands of cars.

In regards to the suspension with the bigger wheels and smaller tires, the car will still technically sit the same. However, there is an optical illusion that is created when you up-size the wheel and the tire sidewall get's shorter. You start seeing the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel arch more. A big part of that is because with the 17" and larger wheels, the sidewall you are using is far more square than with a 14 or 15" wheel where the tire bows out near the center of it's side wall, then arcs back in and creates a more "rounded" look. The car's overall stance and the total tire to fender clearances haven't changed much if any, but the eye perceives it as being larger. So you get that 4x4 look which kinda sucks.

If you're worried about that, you should prepare to think about changing springs to drop the car a bit and correct the look.