View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
Haven’t committed on a trans yet. Had lead on good used one but has sold. Is stock, lock up or not ?

As I’ve stated. I don’t know the transmission world at all. The stall, lock up and such unknown area to me.
Do you currently have a transmission available to you to use, or do you need to get one for the project?

You have a lot of "I don't know" answers, which is fine, but simply jumping into something that you don't know may brake the budget you're on...probably having to do things multiple times.

Most people don't recommend 200r4's behind Pontiac engines without a somewhat serious level of build on the transmission. Some have done it to success however, but my personal feeling is that this transmission is a toss-up on reliability behind the type of power plant you've built.

Art Carr can build a good one, but you're talking about $3000+ just for the transmission.

I really like B-man's response above. Source a decent th400 or th350, run the converter you already have and put a 3.08 in the rear. This will offer you the best combination of cost, performance and highway drivability. Heck, even the 3.23 isn't going to be terrible, especially if you're running a 27 or 28" tire.

See how you like that and you can always continue to inform yourself on other options that you can add later.