View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
Not saying that he didn't see 7hp increase, but that had to be from just getting the timing where the motor liked it, not just from changing to a crank trigger. All your doing it switching from one trigger mechanism to another.
It was the same total advance. The way I understand it is your timing is much more stable and accurate with a crank trigger and that is where any increase come from.
I have never run one but I do have a MSD crank trigger and a BOP front-sideways distributor setup given to me by a high level bracket racer.
He took it all off and went to a nice aftermarket HEI setup. Much more simple, works just fine and he did not see a ET difference. 5-7 horsepower it would be hard to see anyway.
So I do not know if I will ever use the stuff either just bracket racing. I did my own test at the track years ago. Used PMD distributors. One with points triggering my 7-AL and another using a distributor with a Petronix setup and their coil. I used the same exact advance springs in both.
Ran the same ET-MPH with both so I sent the Petronix stuff back. Run points to this day. I tested the points (cast iron) distributor on a Sun machine once, spun it up to the max, kinda scary standing next to it. But it never had one hiccup.
Run that distributor ever since and have not had a ignition problem in my life at the track. The points contacts do not wear with MSD. Just keep a eye on dwell and I guess the spring could wear at some point. I run the 8000RPM points and I am never going to build a engine that can make them bounce anyway.