View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The Olds Diesel starter had a bigger starter-drive gear, and consequently needed a smaller-diameter flywheel/flexplate on Olds applications. No idea if it happens to fit Pontiac.

The copper spacer between solenoid and the electrical connection to the armature and field-coils is NOT a reliable method of determining a "real-true" "High-Torque" starter. Plenty of starters were made with short field coils and armatures with short windings, but then crammed into a longer case with the copper spacer. Remember that these starter motors have been rebuilt, perhaps numerous times--there's no telling what the rebuilder installed inside the case; and I won't promise that some of these "phony" "High-Torque" starters didn't come directly out of GM in their infinite cost-cutting.
I've tried the 5.7 diesel starter on a Pontiac, it will physically bolt to the block, but as has been mentioned the bendix pinion gear is too large to be used with the Pontiac flex plate, the diesel has a specific flexplate to change the gear ratio for the diesel to spin faster.

I thought that I had the answer to a super starter for a Pontiac, turns out the engineers changed the design enough to not allow it to fit. So I thought I could swap the gas bendix onto the diesel starter, nope, the armature shaft diameter was also increased on the diesel starter. It was a great idea, but without a ton of reworking it wasn't going to work. The diesel flywheel is also a different bolt pattern on the crank from Pontiac.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-24-2023 at 03:34 PM.