View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
My first suggestion would be to set the idle at 850 to 950 rpm..to get the vacuum higher, I personally like a cleaner higher idle then a blubbering low idle especially with any sort of cam. Also remember timing and fuel mixtures go hand in hand adjust both. Does the ignition have a start retard? That may help you run a higher initial advance. A good idle in my books is one that can sit at a stoplight for minutes with zero issues..not one in park at a Dairy Queen that sounds good.
Good luck..report back on the progress!
You're right about the idle. For some reason I had it in my head that it should be around 650, but that is low. It will idle there all day long without loading up. Part of the reason I've had it there is because with the current dist, the idle hangs once the car is warmed up. It will go back to normal once it's shut off and restarted, but I have not been able to track the problem down. I think that the center shaft in the current distributor is hanging up at just the last bit of travel, and not resetting the timing all the way. It was gone through and still does it. Anyway, I'll likely set it around 750-800 once I have the new distributor in.

Start retard capability is built into the Progression distributor.