View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegto65 View Post
I think you may be a little off on your figures. 3" ounce off will cause the crank to almost bounce off of my machine. I don't know what other shops balance tolerances are but I balance all street motors to .5"(1/2") ounce or less and race motors to .3"(1/3') ounce or less.
Back in my aviation days, we balanced the engines we overhauled to within .5 gram. This is using pistons and pins that weighed POUNDS instead of ounces. The factory tolerance for balance on these engines was 6 grams difference between cylinder(horizontally opposed engines). I saw at least two engines that had balance variations of 20 grams( factory reman’d engines at that)! The owner wondered WHY he couldn’t keep oil coolers or alternator brackets on these engines. When our TCM service rep contacted the engineering dept. at TCM, he was informed by an engineer that dynamic balancing did NOT affect engine performance or longevity. After hearing this, the TCM Rep, our engine shop manager and I just looked at each other in total amazement.

Dr. Thomas Sowell