View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mark View Post
May I ask what materials you got for about $600? I spent about $900 just on the clear for the 66 I am doing right now. Not counting the base coat, epoxy, primer, sandpaper etc. Maybe I'm buying at the wrong place. I'm not doubting you, just curious what was included in the $600.
Went with Valspar base/clear as PPG jobber in town wanted $800 for a gallon of Iris Mist basecoat that wasn't even an exact match. Found a Valspar dealer online (no longer in business - not sure what I'll do for my next car) and got 1.25 gal (unreduced) base and clear including thinner/hardener in exact color match for $410 - just checked the reciept). Was a leap of faith but match was dead on.

1 gal Kirker epoxy and gallon of NAPA (sherwin williams) high build were each roughly $100/gallon at the time (6 years ago).

I should have been specific that the cost was just for paint - probably have $50-100 more in sandpaper and other consumables ($20 for gallon of NAPA filler on sale, w&g remover, thinner for cleaning guns, etc.), although I do pick up a lot of thinner/sandpaper at estate/garage sales for next to nothing.

If you do some research you can find good deals on decent primers/clears pretty easily. Quality basecoat in the color you want at a decent price is always the challenge, IMO.