View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default 400 vs 428 - Help Me Decide

This thread subtitle says "no question too basic here" so go easy on me

I have a basic driver quality 67 convertible with a non-original 400 from the early 70s. My goal is to build a 2+2 clone that I can drive & enjoy. Aside from the clone part, I'd like to stay as original looking as possible while getting as much performance out of the project as I can. Would be happy with around 450hp and thrilled to have more.

I have found a date correct (67) complete 428 engine with 670 heads. It has 4 bolt main caps and has never been apart. Came from a car with about 80k miles on it. Would be a 'correct' engine for my 2+2 clone BUT....

Is it worth the extra price of admission to have a 'correct' 428 in the car, or can I get similar performance for less $$ by just massaging the 400 that's already there? This is really 2 questions:
- is the 428 an inherently better engine that is worth the cost for basic reasons, or
- is it really just personal preference?

The 428 would have to be gone through, machined, etc but I guess I could just add bolt-on goodies to the 400 I already have. Problem is I have NO info on the internals and would probably want to open & inspect anyway before I go stressing some inadequate stock parts. I want to stay 'reasonable' with the build so I can run the 91 octane pump gas available here in the west.

I have the budget to go either way (within reason). So what do you guys recommend?

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd