View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't use those but the keyways and upper sprocket should be well marked for all three positions. Going from memory they used a "O", "triangle and a square for the corresponding keyways and upper sprocket orientation.

That is one of the "low" end sets but uses a little better chain that the "bottom of the barrel" stuff. The sprockets are cast iron, not billet steel. I think the chain has solid bushings that actually roll and not "fixed" but it's not nearly as good as a stock Melling 3/4" wide Morse chain set-up, and from what I've seen those stretch out pretty quickly and the timing mark will "bounce" around some after it's been in place for a few hundred miles.

I bought a completely rebuilt 455 a couple of years ago from a guy who was getting out of the hobby. He had installed one of those timing sets and only ran the engine couple of times a month in his garage as the vehicle was "under construction" and never got finished. He pulled the engine, trans and parted out the rest of the car. I bought the engine and several more "parts" 455's plus a bunch of other stuff from him. When we tore the engine down for inspection and to get rid of the hypereutectic pistons and cast rods that same timing set already had an alarming amount of slop in it so we "round filed it"........FWIW........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),