View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Lately I've come to the conclusion that about 50% of the people selling anything, anywhere, by any means ... are dishonest. Some in small ways, some in large ways. Some just fudging a few numbers, dates, hours, condition or back story, others plainly just trying to steal your money.

Seems to cross all generations. Knowledgeable buyers rarely get badly screwed, but jeez it just hurts my heart to see so many people that are dishonest. Where do they come from? How were they brought up? And so often WHY ... why compromise your integrity for a few dollars more, most often just petty small lies that they think will gain them 10 or 20% more for their item.

I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to selling things ... but I can live with that, I enjoy seeing decent people getting a good deal for something they need.
I'm with you. A lot of this is (trying to figure out how to word this) folks just aren't taught about faith and what's right and wrong as much. Another thing is,it's never been easier to scam folks. Just the other day I was looking on Marketplace and came across a golf cart I was interested in. So far I have had zero luck on MP, but being brought up the way I was it seems simple. An object is for sale, if you want it and are first in line, you buy it. Now that is the last option in completing a deal. I seem to miss out because of my old school way of thinking. Well anyways, I come across this cart for sale from a guy having a moving sale due to a job relocation. As I'm comunicating with him he gives me an address that's twelve minutes from my home. It's pretty late and I tell the guy I can stop by with a deposit and pick the cart up in the morning or come with cash first thing in the morning and complete the deal. He said that first thing in the morning is fine.... But then still wanted a deposit. I thought about sending a couple of hundred but it was odd he said first thing in the morning was fine. I shut my phone off and contacted him in the morning and said I was on my way. Now he tells me he thought I wasn't interested and he went to his cousins. He says all I can do now is Zelle him a deposit and he'll hold the car for me .... I message him and said when he's availble I'll be by with cash.... I never heard from him. I was real close to sending a deposit that I'd never get back. His add was pulled pretty fast and I'm guessing he hacked a guys FB account to make the deal happen. I know nowadays its becoming rare to deal with someone who doesn't jump for high bidder or quickest to pay.