View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I've been painting, cutting and buffing (as an amatuer) since I was 17 and I'm now just days away from turning 64. Before you even get started on this, you have to figure out what level of quality you are going for and what your paint job is actually capable of. If it has urethane wave in it (from pouring on too much clear too quickly), you can still cut the paint and buff it out, but whatever waves you have in it are there to stay. It's not the end of the world, but if you are looking for a perfect paint job, you won't achieve it. The only fix is to have it sanded it out and then re-cleared before cutting and buffing. If the surface had waves or other issues in the primer / sealer before paint, things could be more drastic. If everything was done properly and it's just some dust or bug remnants, you stand a very good chance of having a nice final outcome. Often there will still be some imperfections after cutting and buffing and a knowledgeable person can correct those issues through paint correction (meaning touching up the paint and blending it with some skill).

The bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you took it to a reputable shop with a history of paint jobs that you have seen and like, ask them to give you an opinion of how they would fix it and tell them what your expectations are. Before you do that, take it to an independent quality shop and have them also tell you what they think. That way you have some ammo.

BTW, when I was young, I had no money so I had to do things myself. Now I'm old and could pay someone else to do it, but I TRUST NO-ONE!

Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
The Following User Says Thank You to gtobird For This Useful Post: