Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
Mchell, great post! I also love real world no BS info like you have provided!

Another question here... Has anyone tested single vs dual snorkel units, or different size snorkels? I'd like to try an OEM air cleaner like mchell but the original dual snorkels are pricey and single snorkels are near free! Wondering if/how much difference there is with a single snorkel vs dual or position of snorkels? I have been running no air cleaner at the dragstrip as I hate my current air cleaner setup! This post has motivated another winter upgrade!
That's something I'm going to play with shortly. Chevrolet cowl induction setups use a single snorkel air cleaner sealed to the hood. So when the cowl induction is closed (anytime the throttle isn't floored) the engine breathes through that single snorkel only.
I have 2 cars this way (Chevelle and Z/28) I'm going to modify the chevelle, taking another single snorkel cowl induction air cleaner, combine the two and make a dual snorkel so it all looks factory. Not that I think it will do much other than look cool and make people wonder. Since I need to modify the height of the seal anyway for the new setup I figured I may as well make something unique.

Performance wise it won't do anything because at full throttle the hood is open ingesting outside air anyway.

If you have a sealed up air cleaner ingesting hot engine heat under the hood, it would be easy to test the theory though. But most guys have already found that even if you have a single snorkle large diameter air cleaner (or a dual), they run better if you remove the large 16" lid and just put a smaller 14" lid on it, affectively making the air cleaner an open element setup and using the base to insulate the filter somewhat from engine heat. The OP found this to be his best setup to date if you're stuck ingesting engine heat.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-11-2021 at 12:14 PM.