View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 02:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief View Post
Has anyone used one of these M-23 4 speed transmissions from Auto Gear in Syracuse NY? Or a Hightower 4 Speed Trans?

I am looking for a 4 speed trans for my 67 GTO that will stay together.
I had a Richmond Super T-10 in the car for the last 8 years and I`m tired of changing 1st gear & the cluster gear, last time the main case cracked as well.
I don`t want to cut the floor, it`s a 46k mile original and I have had it since high school.

My best et was a 12.001 @ 113mph, I never had the engine dynoed but should be right around 500 hp & 550 ft lbs of torque.

Engine is a 400 with a 455 crank, Crower Rods, flat tops with 670 heads, solid roller, 71 455 HO intake & carb with HO exhaust manifolds & 2 1/2 inch Pypes full exhaust . Looks stock when the hood is open.

Rear is a Chevelle 12 bolt with 4:11`s

Any 4 speed trans suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry can`t get the pic right side up.

Thanks KC
I put a Ford Toploader in my 69 GTO back in the day. Did not have to cut the floor. Just modified the shift lever to come in in the stock console hole. Mine was a small block short shaft Toploader, worked great, still have all the stuff. 110lb tranny vs a 65lb tranny, you know which one is stronger.
You can get a big input shaft Toploader that came in a big block Mustang and make it work.
Hey, Pontiac ran a Ford Toploader 3 speed in their cars. Our 66 Catalina 3 on the tree station wagon had one.